Quote:
“Young people commonly check up on their friends' activities
by viewing their online photo albums or status reports, obviating the need for
a phone call or e-mail, much less a face-to-face visit. One popular move is to
post a Happy Birthday greeting on the Wall (a semi-public message board) of a
friend's Facebook page without making real personal contact.”
“People exercise control in the way they design their pages:
Staged photographs, exaggerated profiles, and padded friends lists enable
online users to manipulate how others see them.”
Response:
I chose
these quotes because I felt he was saying that we purposely avoid face-to-face
or more personal contact, and also was stereotyping young people’s online
profiles. I disagree with the avoiding contact because in this day in age
everyone is constantly on the move and has a busy schedule. For instance, I
have classes all day on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays so I don’t have time
to call my cousin in Canada to tell her Happy Birthday. It is much easier for
both of us if I just write on her Facebook wall, and when she has time to comment
back, she will. I feel that writing on someone’s wall is the same as an email
only that everyone we are friends with can see it. As for some profiles they
are staged and exaggerated, but others are not. Some people may want the online
world to see them differently than they actually are, but I feel that your
online profile should be an extension of yourself. After all, people get on
social networking sites to communicate with one another. Why not be real?
Baron, N. (2009). Educational leadeship. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar09/vol66/num06/Are-Digital-Media-Changing-Language¢.aspx

I absolutely agree with your perspective and new research shows that for most people social media has strengthened and enhanced face-to-face relationships. I'm keep in better touch with my family who all live in California and have reconnected with many friends from my past since I joined Facebook! Excellent post!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget to cite the image!